Friday, September 12, 2008

Code Blue...

Sitting in the lobby again, waiting for the appointment to finish when half way into it, approximately three hours. The intercom beeps signalling another serious code in the hospital. Barely listening my attention is focused on the glow of the screen in the corner of this lobby. "Code blue, 12th floor, multi organ transplant... Code blue, 12th floor, multi organ transplant..." My ears change direction and I immediately put together the realization that my mother is on that very wing, in that very ward attending an exercise class. So I snap the lid of the laptop shut, pull the power and stuff it all in the backpack within a matter of seconds I am in the elevator frantically pressing 12 over and over again as if like at a cross walk my repeated actions will somehow convince the elevator's controls to favor my destination and take me there in a hurry.

When I arrive on the 12th floor there is a team of about 20 or so doctors and nurses working on a lady laying on a stretcher. Her feet dangling out and the same color and texture of jogging pants that my mother wears in plain sight. Not wanting to panic at this point i'm asking people if they know who this is and no one would answer. Repeatedly I am told you will just have to wait until they stabalize her...

The next few minutes feel like an hour but finally they rush the person down the hallway towards some extended care and I follow after being told it's ok to do so by a nurse who was previously guarding the doorway. As I come around the corner looking into the room there sits my mother quietly lifting a 5 pound weight as instructed by her nurse...

Sheesh, talk about a panic...

So now that crisis has passed I think i'll go eat some chicken and fries to calm my nerves!
TTYL...

No comments: