Friday, December 31, 2010

A Christmas befuddled, without the wine...

On Friday December 24th, 2010, my wife's grandpa passed away.  In his 90th year, I remember him only from the 6 years that I had the chance to know him.  He had one of the brightest, most welcoming ways about him and I will miss him dearly.  I will never forget the feel of his hand as I greeted him at family gatherings.  The soft texture of his hand with firm grip, the slight giggle with his smile, and the cliche questions he always asked.  "How's work going?  Are you enjoying it?  How's your mom doing?"  Yet I do not view his passing as tragic in any way.  I watched as my wife's family all came together as one unit, with smiles and laughter in the midst of periods of sadness.  We all have regrets, we all have victories, and surely, we miss him already.  But at the end of the day, the peaceful manor in which he departed in his sleep was a fitting end to a life in which I hold so much respect for. 

My wife and I occasionally reflect on the time when we met, and the moments when we were young and growing close to each other.  How faithful and strong a family unit should be, the long term commitment that is so rare these days.  These and many more examples reflected in the life of her grand parents.  I remember early on in my relationship with her, how she respected and loved the way her grand parents lived up to their commitment.  She told me flat out that this was the kind of life she expected, and that I was going to be the one to deliver it.

And so I say... To my dear wife...

We have only just begun, so many years ahead....

Bring it on, I welcome the challenge with open arms!

No comments: